Skip to Main Content

Tax and Land Information Website

print small medium large 


Revenue Tax (PST)


Change in the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) Rate

Effective October 1, 2016, the Province of Prince Edward Island increased the provincial component of the harmonized sales tax (HST).
The new HST rate will consist of  the provincial component of ten percent (10%) and the federal component of five percent (5%) for a combined rate of fifteen percent (15%).  
Please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency website for assistance with the application of HST in Prince Edward Island, or call 1-800-959-5525.



On April 1, 2013 the provincial revenue tax (PST @10%) and the goods and service tax (GST @ 5%) were replaced in Prince Edward Island by the harmonized sales tax (HST).  The HST tax rate is 14% and is a combination of a provincial portion (at 9%) and a federal portion (at 5%).

During the sitting of the Legislative Assembly in the fall of 2012, amendments to the Revenue Tax Act were passed which, effective April 1, 2013, remove the requirement for businesses to charge, collect and remit the PST.

There are a number of provisions of the Revenue Tax Act that will remain in force for a period of time as the administration of the PST is wound down.  The links listed below provide additional information on both the current and historical application of the PST in Prince Edward Island.


The Harmonized Sales Tax (HST):


Historical PST Information:


Revenue Tax Guides and Notices


Collecting and Remitting Revenue Tax (PST)

Revenue Tax Refunds & Rebates

Other Revenue Tax (PST) Information


Please note:
This page is prepared for information purposes only, and should not be considered a substitute for the applicable statutes. Should there be any conflict between the contents of this page and the statutes, the statutes shall prevail.

back to top